Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Best Friends

It always amazes me how fast time goes by. My first roommate when I moved to Omaha was a guy named Brandon Keepers. I always tell people that I moved to Omaha to follow Kristen, and if that's the why, Brandon was the how. I didn't know anything about anything, and without Brandon's help, who knows how long it would have been before I moved back in with Mom and Dad! But through it all, Brandon and his wife Dustyn have become two of our favorite people in the world.

In 2005, Dustyn was accepted to seminary in Holland, Michigan, so they packed their things in a giant truck and headed out to replant themselves. We helped them pack their truck (sort of) and sent them off, promising as anyone would that we won't lose touch.

Since then, Brandon has gone into business (web development), Dustyn has been to Kenya, and currently they're both in Israel. WHAT!?!?!?!?!? Obviously we haven't kept up on our promise. However, there is always opportunity for renewal of broken promises! I emailed Brandon out of the blue the other day, and he responded right away. It turns out, Brandon can still work on web code from Israel, which makes it a "working vacation" for him. I'm in the wrong industry, I think. Brandon is also a great photographer, and has taken some amazing pictures in Israel. Check out his Flickr page: http://flickr.com/photos/bkeepers/sets/72157600387409518/

I have added Brandon's blogs to my Google Reader so that each time he posts, Reader will notify me. Now, if you read his blog, and you know as much or less than me about web coding, you won't understand anything! But, I want to be notified each time he posts, not so I can read about Ruby on Rails, but so I can be reminded of our friendship. As I'm reminded of our relationship, distant as it may be, I can renew my promise--and the great part is that we can pick up right where we left off two years ago.

So Brandon, if you read this, we miss you guys, love you guys, and can't wait to see you again.

No comments: