Friday, October 19, 2007

Long Day

Well, it's been a long day, but we're here in Swea City visiting my parents and family. JC had fun with grandpa tonight, and after a little fight, he and Kristen went up to bed. I want so badly to be able to post the pictures/video of the following story, but my Motorola SLVR and my iBook are not friends...according to the internet.


I was just sitting at the kitchen table catching up on my blog reading, when suddenly my dad started saying something to my mom about the oven smoking. I didn't think much of it because when I lived at home, these kinds of arguments were pretty frequent:
dad: what's burning?
mom: nothing! It's fine...it just dripped a little in the oven.
dad: it smells awful! It's smoking!
mom: don't worry about it. leave my kitchen alone!

and so on, and so on with playful arguing over mom's cooking...no big deal. Well, tonight mom used the wrong pan to make chocolate chip bars, and the bars over-flowed the pan while baking. There was some serious smoke, and lots of drippage, but for some reason mom decided the bars that were still in the pan were more important than the bars on the bottom of the oven, touching the burner! Sure enough, a couple minutes later the smoke was back, and where there's smoke...THERE'S A FIRE!!! Flames, rising up from the bottom of the oven. Mom was surprisingly calm, while dad freaked out. The flaming bars were scraped off the burner, and the half-baked pan of chocolate chip bars seemed to be in the clear. Only problem: the pan was still overflowing.

What happened next needs pictures to make it work...and hopefully I'll have them tomorrow. Let's just say, this is the first time I've not been able to differentiate an electric oven for a wood-burning oven. Dad was scraping with a spatula, mom was now freaking out, and I was in the middle of things snapping pictures and video with my phone, laughing my head off! It's good to be home...minus the smoke inhalation damage.

No comments: